Croydon Old Whitgiftian Hockey Club was formed in 2010 following the merger of Croydon Hockey Club (formerly Croydon MO's Hockey Club) and Old Whitgiftian Hockey Club.
Croydon Hockey Club was one of the oldest clubs in the country having been founded in 1905. Many clubs and players will know the club as Croydon M.O.'s. The M.O.'s stood for 'Municipal Officers', the founding members of the club being employees of Croydon Council. The M.O.'s was dropped from the club name after the centenary in 2005.
The club history is long and interesting. There are two results that leap off the page! Back in 1949 we hosted a Pakistan Mens XI and won 2-1! The following March we thumped an East Grinstead Mens 1st XI 15 -1! The mixed section was formed in the 1967/68 season. Its inception encouraged more female members to join the club leading to the Ladies section starting in 1969/70.
The Old Whitgiftian Hockey Club was founded in 1981 and is the hockey section of the Whitgift Sports Club. The combined club remains the hockey section for the Whitgift Sports Club and has an open membership and is not restricted to just former pupils of Whitgift School.
We currently fields 4 mens teams, 2 ladies and a mixed side. All teams play in competitive Surrey leagues. A Sunday mixed side is also run which plays in regular friendly fixtures.
E. G. Handley Esq. MBE
C. Jenkins Esq.
Senior Vice President
K. R. George Esq.
P. Allen Esq., G. Bell Esq., J. T. Brock Esq., M. Burke Esq., Mrs S. Burke, Mrs T. Bullimore, M. Chalk Esq., R. Corby Esq., Mrs P. Flynn, J. Foley Esq., P. T. Gittins, T. Hallett Esq., P. Hoare Esq., D. A. Lambert Esq., B. Mickelburgh Esq., Mrs D. Mickelburgh, Mrs J. Milligan, T. Milligan Esq., G. E. Mitchell Esq., K. Orriss Esq., R. J. Pattison Esq., Ms L Phillips, A. J. W. Robb Esq., D. Shepherd Esq., Mrs J. Trimnell, A. Johnston Esq.